Ladies and gentlemen, the World Cup officially starts tomorrow – Friday, 11 June 2010. The kick-off match is between the host country of South Africa and Mexico.
Living in Europe, football (or soccer) is of great importance. And I like that. But, unfortunately, living in Belgium, it is not as important as say in Germany, the Netherlands or Spain, since Belgium has not had a good team in a while. But maybe that is a plus so that we can still enjoy the World Cup but it not become the overwhelming experience that it could be. Of course, visiting England for a few days in mid-June, the climate could easily change.
The teams I will cheer for are in this order:
- America (Of course, my home country.)
- England (Of course, my wife’s home country. And I lived in the UK for 3 years, so I began to like them during that time.)
- Spain (I like Rafael Nadal. He is a tennis player, but that makes me cheer for his football team.)
- Netherlands (The closest country to Belgium. Well, don’t tell the French-speaking Belgians that.)
- Brazil (I have some close Brazilian friends in Belgium. So I will pull for them.)
Who are the teams that I believe have the best chance of winning it?
Who are my favourite players?
- Frank Lampard (He didn’t have such a hot World Cup in 2006 for England. I hope for better.)
- Landon Donovan (Gotta pull for the American.)
- Lionel Messi (He is so smooth and a great man up front for Argentina.)
- Kaká (The soft-footed, intelligent Brazilian. He is supposedly a believer as well.)
- Fernando Torres (Like Messi, a talented wonder-boy up front for Spain.)
Who are my least favourite players?
- Christiano Ronaldo (I mean, doesn’t it go without saying? How could anyone like this guy? I want Portugal to lose every match because he is on their team.)
- I really cannot think of another player in league with Ronaldo. Maybe some mean Italian player that I don’t know there name.
We shall see how it all plays out over these next few weeks. I know I will enjoy the time. It all starts for me on Saturday with a barbeque with my Brazilian friends – picanha steak, sausage and chicken hearts on the grill!
Just for a chuckle, I post this nice little SportsCenter commercial/advert. Enjoy.